Thursday, January 12, 2012

Not Really Kubrick after all

Please make it stop! I have a problem, and that is that I am a completion-ist.  I can't stop watching a movie, any movie before the end credits role. The problem with that is once I realize the movie is putrescent it becomes a battle of attrition. I once sat all the way through 8MM.

I say all this to preface the fact that I just finished watching Fear and Desire by Stanley Kubrick.  Fear and Desire is the fabled first film by the former war photographer turned film master. The plot is really basic but what is weird is the myriad voice-overs that permeate the film.  I did a little research and discovered that initially Fear was supposed to be a silent film.  The disembodied voice overs would become a hallmark of Kubrick's filmography.  Barry Lyndon is a great example.

Anyway, I realized about 15 minutes into the movie that it was unwatchable. You do not care about any other the characters or care what is happening onscreen.  I just wanted it to stop. It's so boring and plodding that I understood why Kubrick disowned it. It was the work that wasn't up to snuff with his later masterpieces although you can see the beginnings of his trademarks all over this "film". But it simply not up to snuff and I can see why Kubrick never referenced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment